About FLOVENT DISKUS
FLOVENT DISKUS is an inhaled prescription corticosteroid medicine for the long-term treatment of asthma in people aged 4 and older.
- FLOVENT DISKUS helps to prevent symptoms of asthma.
- FLOVENT DISKUS does not treat the sudden symptoms of an asthma attack, such as wheezing, cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness. Always have a fast-acting bronchodilator medicine (rescue inhaler) with you to treat sudden symptoms.
It is not known if FLOVENT DISKUS is safe and effective in children younger than 4 years of age.
FLOVENT DISKUS contains a medicine called fluticasone propionate, which is a synthetic corticosteroid. Corticosteroids are natural substances found in the body that help fight inflammation. Corticosteroids are used to treat asthma because they reduce airway inflammation. The steroids used for asthma are not the same as the steroids that build muscle. In its guidelines for asthma, the National Institutes of Health recommends inhaled corticosteroids for people with persistent asthma.
What FLOVENT DISKUS does
Taken daily as directed, FLOVENT DISKUS can help prevent symptoms before they start. FLOVENT helps reduce airway inflammation, an underlying cause of asthma symptoms. Your results may vary. If your asthma is not well controlled, or if you are using your rescue inhaler more than twice a week, talk to your healthcare provider to see if FLOVENT is right for you. FLOVENT does not treat sudden symptoms of an asthma attack, such as wheezing, cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness. Always have a fast-acting bronchodilator medicine (rescue inhaler) with you to treat sudden symptoms.
What FLOVENT DISKUS does not do
FLOVENT DISKUS does not treat the sudden symptoms of an asthma attack, such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness. Always have a fast-acting bronchodilator medicine (rescue inhaler) with you to treat sudden symptoms.
What are the possible side effects of FLOVENT DISKUS?
FLOVENT DISKUS can cause serious side effects, including:
- fungal infection (thrush) in your mouth and throat. Tell your doctor if you have any redness or white-colored coating in your mouth.
- decreased ability to fight infections. Symptoms of infection may include: fever, pain, aches, chills, feeling tired, nausea and vomiting. Tell your doctor about any signs of infection while you use FLOVENT DISKUS.
- decreased adrenal function (adrenal insufficiency). Symptoms of decreased adrenal function include tiredness, weakness, nausea and vomiting, and low blood pressure. Decreased adrenal function can lead to death.
- allergic reaction (anaphylaxis). Call your doctor and stop FLOVENT DISKUS right away if you have any symptoms of an allergic reaction:
- swelling of the face, throat, and tongue
- breathing problems
- lower bone mineral density. This may be a problem for people who already have a higher chance of low bone density (osteoporosis).
- slow growth in children. The growth of children using FLOVENT DISKUS should be checked regularly.
- eye problems including glaucoma and cataracts. Tell your doctor about any vision changes while using FLOVENT DISKUS. Your doctor may tell you to have your eyes checked.
- increased wheezing (bronchospasm). Increased wheezing can happen right away after using FLOVENT DISKUS. Always have a rescue inhaler with you to treat sudden wheezing.
Call your doctor right away if you have any of the serious side effects listed above or if you have worsening lung symptoms.
The most common side effects of FLOVENT DISKUS include:
- a cold or upper respiratory tract infection
- throat irritation
- nausea and vomiting
Tell your doctor if you have any side effects that bother you or that do not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of FLOVENT DISKUS. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
See the full list of Risks and Side Effects of FLOVENT DISKUS.
Features of FLOVENT® DISKUS® (fluticasone propionate inhalation powder)
FLOVENT DISKUS is rounded in shape. It also has a counter, so you can see how many doses you have left. The counter number will count down each time you use FLOVENT DISKUS. After you have used 55 doses (23 doses from the sample and institutional packs), the numbers 5 to 0 will show in red to warn you that there are only a few doses left. FLOVENT DISKUS delivers your dose of medicine as a very fine powder that most people, but not all, can taste or feel. Whether or not you can taste or feel your dose of medicine, you should not take more than the prescribed dose. If you are not sure you are getting your dose of FLOVENT DISKUS, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How long does it take for FLOVENT DISKUS to start working?
Use FLOVENT DISKUS exactly as your doctor tells you to use it
Do not change the dose yourself. Your doctor will tell you how many times to inhale your FLOVENT DISKUS and when to use your FLOVENT DISKUS. Do not inhale more doses or use your FLOVENT DISKUS more often than your doctor has prescribed. Do not stop using FLOVENT DISKUS, even if you are feeling better, unless your doctor tells you to. FLOVENT does not treat sudden symptoms of an asthma attack, such as wheezing, cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness. Always have a fast-acting bronchodilator medicine (rescue inhaler) with you to treat sudden symptoms.
Using FLOVENT DISKUS with other medicines
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. FLOVENT DISKUS may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect how FLOVENT DISKUS works.
How should I store FLOVENT DISKUS (fluticasone propionateinhalation powder)?
Store FLOVENT DISKUS at room temperature between 68°F and 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Store FLOVENT DISKUS in a dry place away from heat and sunlight.
FLOVENT DISKUS is not reusable. Safely throw away medicine that is out of date or no longer needed.
Do not try to take FLOVENT DISKUS apart.
Keep FLOVENT DISKUS and all medicines out of the reach of children.