About FLOVENT HFA
FLOVENT HFA is used to treat asthma in patients 4 years and older. When inhaled regularly, FLOVENT HFA also helps to prevent symptoms of asthma.
FLOVENT HFA contains a medicine called fluticasone propionate, which is a synthetic corticosteroid. Corticosteroids are natural substances found in the body that help fight inflammation. Corticosteroids are used to treat asthma because they reduce airway inflammation. The steroids used for asthma are not the same as the steroids that build muscle. In its guidelines for asthma, the National Institutes of Health recommends inhaled corticosteroids for people with persistent asthma.
What FLOVENT HFA does
Taken daily as directed, FLOVENT HFA can help prevent symptoms before they start. FLOVENT helps reduce airway inflammation, an underlying cause of asthma symptoms. Your results may vary. If your asthma is not well controlled, or if you are using your rescue inhaler more than twice a week, talk to your healthcare provider to see if FLOVENT is right for you. FLOVENT does not treat sudden symptoms of an asthma attack, such as wheezing, cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness. Always have a fast-acting bronchodilator medicine (rescue inhaler) with you to treat sudden symptoms.
What FLOVENT HFA does not do
FLOVENT HFA is not a bronchodilator and should not be used to give you fast relief from your breathing problems during an asthma attack. Always use a short-acting bronchodilator (rescue medicine), such as albuterol inhaler, during a sudden asthma attack. You must take FLOVENT HFA at regular times as recommended by your doctor, and not as an emergency medicine.
What are the possible side effects of FLOVENT HFA?
FLOVENT HFA can cause serious side effects, including:
- fungal infections (thrush) in your mouth and throat. Tell your doctor if you have any redness or white-colored coating in your mouth.
- decreased ability to fight infections. Symptoms of infection may include: fever, pain, aches, chills, feeling tired, nausea and vomiting. Tell your doctor about any signs of infection while you use FLOVENT HFA.
- decreased adrenal function (adrenal insufficiency). Symptoms of decreased adrenal function include tiredness, weakness, nausea and vomiting, and low blood pressure. Decreased adrenal function can lead to death.
- allergic reaction (anaphylaxis). Call your doctor and stop FLOVENT HFA right away if you have any symptoms of an allergic reaction:
- swelling of the face, throat, and tongue
- breathing problems
- lower bone mineral density. This may be a problem for people who already have a higher chance of low bone density (osteoporosis).
- slow growth in children. The growth of children using FLOVENT HFA should be checked regularly.
- eye problems including glaucoma and cataracts. Tell your doctor about any vision changes while using FLOVENT HFA. Your doctor may tell you to have your eyes checked.
- increased wheezing (bronchospasm). Increased wheezing can happen right away after using FLOVENT HFA. Always have a rescue inhaler with you to treat sudden wheezing.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any of the serious side effects listed above or if you have worsening lung symptoms.
The most common side effects of FLOVENT HFA include:
- a cold or upper respiratory tract infection
- throat irritation
- ear infection
Tell your doctor if you have any side effects that bother you or that do not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of FLOVENT HFA. For more information ask your doctor or pharmacist.
See the full list of
Features of FLOVENT HFA (fluticasone propionate) Inhalation Aerosol
The medicine in FLOVENT HFA is in an aerosol form. FLOVENT HFA is NOT meant for fast-acting relief. It is meant to be taken twice a day as prescribed by your healthcare professional. FLOVENT HFA has a counter to show how many doses of medicine you have left. The counter starts at 124. The number will count down by 1 each time you spray the inhaler. The counter will stop counting at 000. When the counter reads 000, throw the inhaler away. You should not keep using the inhaler because you will not receive the right amount of medicine.
How long does FLOVENT HFA take to start working?
After you start using FLOVENT HFA, it may take 1 to 2 weeks or longer of daily use until you notice an improvement in your asthma symptoms. If you don’t notice an improvement in your asthma symptoms, or if your condition worsens, be sure to talk to your healthcare provider as soon as possible. FLOVENT does not treat sudden symptoms of an asthma attack, such as wheezing, cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness. Always have a fast-acting bronchodilator medicine (rescue inhaler) with you to treat sudden symptoms.
Use FLOVENT HFA exactly as your doctor tells you to use it
It is important that you inhale each dose as your doctor has prescribed. The prescription label provided by your pharmacist will usually tell you what dose to take and how often. If it doesn't or if you aren't sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist. DO NOT inhale more doses or use your FLOVENT HFA more often than your doctor has prescribed.
Using FLOVENT HFA with other medicines
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. FLOVENT HFA may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect how FLOVENT HFA works. IMPORTANT: FLOVENT HFA is not a bronchodilator and should not be used to give you fast relief from your breathing problems during an asthma attack. Always use a short-acting bronchodilator (rescue medicine), such as albuterol inhaler, during a sudden asthma attack. You must take FLOVENT HFA at regular times as recommended by your doctor, and not as an emergency medicine.
How should I store FLOVENT HFA?
Store FLOVENT HFA at room temperature between 59°F and 86°F (15°C-30°C). Store the inhaler with the mouthpiece down. For best results, the inhaler should be at room temperature before use.
Keep FLOVENT HFA and all medicines out of the reach of children.